The P.E.A.C.E. Initiative is a private non-profit organization established in 1990 under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Order of Benedictine Sisters to address the issues of domestic violence impacting the city. In 2003, the P.E.A.C.E. Initiative spun off on our own and became an independent 501(c)(3) organization. Our membership consists of approximately 50 public and private institutions, grassroots organizations and individuals working collaboratively to end family violence.
In 2015, P.E.A.C.E Initiative and our sisters at Fuerza Unida are coming together in celebration of our 25th Anniversary's! Our good friend and community artist, Mary Agnes Rodriguez, created a beautiful logo commemorating this special year in the story of women-led community work in San Antonio, Tejas. As groups sharing a revolutionary commitment to feminist values and community visioning, we’ve also launched a joint campaign to raise funds for us both. A selection of limited edition T-Shirts, flags, and more unique products are available for sale now.
Our 2014-2015 Accomplishments
- 3 Facilitated National Trainings Raised $10,000.
- 4 F.A.C.T training's for SAPD for an average of 100 citizen volunteers.
- 7 Articles published in Local Newspaper & Magazine Publications regarding domestic violence.
- 9 TV Interviews, with English & Spanish media, reaching an estimated 30,000 individuals per interview.
- 10 Families were given Thanksgiving Baskets. 30 families received donations of new shoes
- 12 Monthly meetings held to disseminate information of ongoing issues that concern Domestic Violence.
- 25 Officers were trained for the Bexar Co. Sheriff's Department.
- 81 Individuals participated in Project ADVANCE for 1st time family violence offenders. We have a 75% graduation rate and an 87% non-rearrest rate. Funded by Bexar County Community Resources
- 103 Individuals attended Project ADVANCE Holiday Party for Program Participants and their families. Donations from Consulado Mexicano en San Antonio, Congressman Joaquin Castro, Alvin Hernandez, Bexar County Pre-Trial Division, EISD Superintendent-Dr. Jose Cervantes and University Health System Social Worker, Mary Jo Rodriguez,Ph.D.
- 2968 Participants attended workshops or groups focusing on domestic violence and child abuse.
- 5,417 Participants received information on prevention of domestic violence and child abuse. Funded by Southwest Key
- Successfully advocated for continued funding of city domestic violence intervention services within SAPD, when they were threatened by proposed City budget cuts.
- Hosted the 2nd Annual "Dads Building a Lifetimes of Love" to honor the good works of the fathers, funded by a $5000 VERIZON grant.
- Hosted the 2nd Annual "PEACE in the Plaza" domestic violence awareness event at Main Plaza Conservancy, Funded by City of San Antonio Department of Culture and Creative Development. See video here: https://youtu.be/QaHs7rNGSHk
Recent Awards and Recognitions:
- Selected by the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber to be one of 21 participants in their inaugural Latina Leadership Institute (2015)
- Selected by Univision San Antonio as one their "Lo Mejor de Lo Nuestro" for distinguished service to the community. (2015)
- Awarded the Meteor Award by the San Antonio Women's Chamber of Commerce & they selected P.E.A.C.E. Initiative as its beneficiary from their 2015 Golf Tournament fundraising efforts. (2014)
- Awarded the The Community Champion Award by the Bexar County 14th Annual Conference of the Center for Health Care Services (2014)
- Awarded by the Association of Women in Communications San Antonio Chapter, the 2014 Headliner Award for Professional Achievement (2014)